March: Hunter’s Star

20140401_101225

A few years back I bought a Quiltsmart pattern for a Hunter’s Star and fabric to make it with.  Yes, this ended up in the closet.  So for March, I brought it out.  It is an interesting concept really.  Basically you use a printed fusible interfacing to make the blocks.  Super Duper Simple.

Cut up all the pieces you are going to use.  There are a lot of pieces here folks, so I broke them into stacks of ten to keep up.  This is all the fabric ready to go.

20140118_135234

 

OH and then you have to cut apart the printed blocks and that was a pain because they are not in straight columns/rows so no rotary cutting. I’m sure this decision was financially based, but it is not a good one.

20140118_160631

Fuse fabric to the foundation.  There are a few steps here so you need to be careful when fusing, because you are leaving the corners bare.  I have an inexpensive iron with a Teflon sole that I use just for fusibles.  If it gets gunky I can wipe if off with a damp paper towel when the iron is cool.

20140118_180237

And then sew along the lines!  How simple is that?

20140122_144649

20140124_093703

Finally there is some trimming to do.  I got a little sassy here and paid for it later.  Cut on the lines.  Do not, I repeat, do not trim with the block right side up.  No matter how careful you are, it will haunt you like a like a ghost in October.

Then sew your blocks together and Voila…..another quilt top is done.  It is time to celebrate.  Well, almost time at least.

There were problems where the stars come together.  You have 8 points meeting, plus the added fusible so basically double the fabric; kind of.  I had a difficult time getting the points to lay flat. I swirled, I hammered, I cussed, and then finally I let it go, like a helium balloon.  Originally I was going to put this on the frame, but after I saw it put together I didn’t want to distract from the piecing. Then there was the bulky seam challenge. Finally there was the gorgeous fabric I found for the backing.  I decided to quilt it in the ditch with monofilament thread.

The quilt itself is a little stiff and will probably soften up when washed.  The yellow fabric was way too light for this method.  I know you can’t see it in the picture, but it is very see thru and in some areas I can see the lines of the fusible. All in all, I can’t say I would do it again or any fusible for that matter.  Yes, it is easy and yes, it looks nice. And yes, if I had never done it, I would try it. And finally yes it is a good method for those who do not have the experience or desire to piece the old fashion way.  And by old fashion, I mean with a good machine and a quarter inch foot.

 

I did however come up with a way to make the Hunter’s Star block in my head and if I ever really sit down and do it, I will share.